Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Sister, Cathy



When I was young my sister, Cathy, held an almost demi-goddess-like place in my life. After all, who else could magically turn liquid detergent and a little water into bubbles? Who else knew how to make cardboard boxes into stoves, and salt and flour into Christmas ornaments? She lived in Far, Far Away Long Beach where I spent summers playing in the yard in wading pools, eating delicious (yet, frighteningly red) peaches, playing with Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys with David, and watching LA television. (I think they had 4 or 5 channels up there! Howdy Doody and Felix the Cat were on every day.) Post Toasties were on the approved list of foods at her house. When I was home, I'd pine for visits from her. On days when she was supposed to arrive I'd be up with the sun waiting on the front porch. Once, when I was about 6 years old and waiting endlessly for her, I remember figuring out how to call her long distance. "Where are you?" I asked. It was probably 7:00 am.

The reason I say demi-goddess rather than super hero with Cathy is that she wielded a power that was much more parent-like than my other siblings. She could and would make me do things like take a bath, go to bed, and give me painfully tight last-an-entire-week-but-do-them-daily-anyway pigtails (an attribute I hear from others that I also posess. They say abuse is generational. Et tu Deby?) She was talented (you should've seen how GREAT my mission looked), beautiful, and could read (a skill I simply had to posess!). I had to obey her, whereas, with Doug it was more of a series of negotiatiations.



As an adult Cathy has been my companion and the best neighbor I ever had. How many years did we exercise together every morning? We've shared the creation of an award winning gingerbread house (which almost, but not quite made up for the Mission), a love of baking (she, Deby, and Diana are the few, the proud, that I'd do a cookie swap with), and many a bottle of wine. I miss her company terribly. She knows and understands me in the most important ways. I'm her "Ginny Baby" and she'd jump in front of a moving train to save me. If I had a problem and she could help, she'd be there. If I killed someone she'd be the first person I'd call to help me dump the body. What more can I say?




6 comments:

Laura and the family said...

You're extremely lucky to have Cathy in your life! So am I!!

Deby said...

I miss my Mommy! She does rock. I hope that some day Alexis & Logan will feel the same way about their big sister, Katya.

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Hello, I seem to be having a problem geeting my messages to post.

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

okay now, I previously wrote a most endearing note to you explaining how very much this message means to me. Things like I am glad it was you and not a puppy. All the depth of feelings you brought to life for me and how very much I love and admire you.Hey, ya gotta admit the mission was cool.

Diana said...

Look what ya did ma... Cathy'sgetting cocky about the mission.... : ) J/k... this is one of the sweetest blogs ever...

Laura and the family said...

Ginger, you will have to give me a trick on how to capture a good picture of Cathy.